Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Glass House Axed by ABC




What the HELL is up with this? The Glass House is the only reason I watch the ABC regularly now that The Chaser isn't on.

Apparently Will, Corrinne and Dave were told five weeks ago that the show had been given the boot. Here's a snippet of the SMH article:


Courtney Gibson, ABC head of arts and entertainment, told Virginia Trioli this morning: "this decision has everything to do with economics and nothing to do with editorial policy".

[The news] follows revelations the ABC will pay a new chief censor $280,000 a year to investigate and monitor instances of bias on ABC programs.



There'll be glasses clinking at Parliament house tonight. Fuckers. The Glass House only gives the bastards what they deserve. Along with The Chaser it's probably the only thing that gets young Australians even mildly interested in politics. What are we going to watch now? Rove? Fuck off!

The ABC is going to lose about 75% of its audience under 30, I reckon. Economics my arse. The knives have been out for this programme for a long time.

So what's next to go? Media Watch? The 7:30 Report? Four Corners? Achieve that, guys, and you'll be rid of me entirely. Arseholes!


UPDATE: Here's the news from the ABC's own news site, with a bit of what Corinne Grant had to say on the decision.

7 comments:

Broken Left Leg said...

Economics my arse,
Talk shows are bloody cheap compared to drama, news and current affairs.
The glass house rates it's tits off and gets more bang for it's buck than insiders or Radio National.
Ratings Schmatings

Larry Bonewend said...

Very lame.

Glass House was probably a little rough around the edges in places, but it was current, and they did comment on and joke about actual issues. (Instead of, say, doing celebrity/advertisement/TV show impersonations, or random sketches.)

But like it or not, it was still both necessary, and a rarity, next to The Chaser.

“(Lesna Thomas) says it has had five years on air and that the national broadcaster has decided to go in a new direction”

And which direction is that? Up? Down? Left? Or some other direction, one that I may have thus far inadvertently neglected to mention?

Howard: "If it has been axed, then it has been axed by a decision of the ABC. I haven't asked that it be axed."

A decision made by the ABC to axe a show is a decision made by the ABC? Thanks for the update, John!

And "I haven't asked that it be axed" is Howardian for "I casually dropped into a conversation with board members that it may help my/our cause if the show was axed. Then nudged Windschuttle and winked at him three times."

Bring back the Glass House in pro-bono YouTube format! Time for petitions and other protesting devices.

WORD VERIFICATION: olcnts. Ol' C*nts. (n) Description of the members of the stacked ABC board.

earthkissed said...

Censorship spreads its ugly wings a little further.

Anthony Stoddart said...

Wow, this post is the first I've heard of it. Unbelievable. The change has already started, it seems. You know, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Media Watch is being carted off to the gallows as we speak.

Geoff said...

Who's next? Not Media Watch, The Chaser's War on Everything. Jsut watch. It'll be gone by the end of next year.

I hope it gets moved to channel ten or something, it is and always will be relevant and is the only entertaining thing on TV at the moment.

Thanks a bunch, Howard. Fucktard.

Lisa said...

It feels weird to read something raised by Crikey a couple of months ago as news...

As I understand it, one of the upshots of it being axed is so the Chaser can be moved into a nice Wednesday night spot instead of being on Friday night. So with that justification and the fact that the Chaser contains some edgier content than the Chaser does these days I'm more forgiving about this...

Lisa said...

Sorry about comment on the date above -- thought this was a new post because it was at the top of the feed! I guess you've been editing old posts, Sarah.