Saturday, January 13, 2007

Democrats rule out deal with FF nutbags

Just a one-election stand: The Dems & FF.

Here's what Lyn Allison had to say about the Democrats' decision not to do a preference deal with Family First at the next federal election:


Before the last federal election there were some synergies with our party; they talked about child abuse, and there were a range of platforms where we thought they were more like-minded, but now we are convinced that it's a deeply conservative party which has in most instances not voted in the same way we have in the Senate.


Colour me cynical, but I could have told them that before they did a preference deal last time. I think the reason they're not pursuing a deal this time is because it a) didn't work; they got their butts kicked and b) made them look like hypocrites because out of fear of the Greens they preferenced a bunch of bigoted scumbags who had almost nothing in common with their party.

4 comments:

Anthony Stoddart said...

A feeling of sorrow overwhelms me when I think about the Democrats. So much possibility remains. But my, they're in a sorry state at the moment. Even Phillip Adams foresees their death.

Well, at least the realisation re: Family First has happened.

Sarah said...

I think they're overall a fine party, and this decision means that I am much more likely to vote for or preference them at the next federal election (particularly if Labor won't similarly commit). That doesn't mean they don't need to be smacked hard for their mistakes, and there have been a few of those.

Mikey_Capital said...

I left the Dems because of that deal. Sure the ALP cut the same deal but well I wanted to join one of the major parties anyway.

Patrick said...

I was very glad to hear this news. I will be interested to see if Family First preference the Dems over who exactly in the lead up to next one.