Sunday, September 25, 2005

Roquefort Returns


Mmm, stinky...

Trust I had to find out from the BBC that Australia has lifted its 11 year ban on Roquefort cheese, a blue mould cheese created from unpasteurised sheep's milk and the mould Penicillium roqueforti. I'm a big fan of all kinds of cheeses, though I'm usually limited to what I can purchase at the supermarket or in the odd specialty store, so hopefully I'll get to taste Roquefort before long.

My latest cheese purchase, today, was King Island's 'Hot waxed blue'. I'd put off trying it for ages; I usually buy the Bass Strait Blue because it's the cheapest of the King Island blues, and even buying that as often as I do is kind of extravegant for a student on a Centrelink income! Today, however, it was on special (I think $4.61, down from $6.99). If I'd known just how good that cheese was going to be I would have bought more. Damn that's a nice cheese! It's not quite as good a bargain as the time I was shopping with mum a few years ago in Woolworths and discovered that some delightful idiot had put a $6.99 sticker on an entire giant wheel of camembert ($6.99 was the price it was supposed to be after being cut up and sold individually), but the Hot waxed blue is a way better cheese.

I look on my cheese habit as a tasty way of saving me from the horrors of osteoporosis 40 years down the track.

No comments: