Friday, May 21, 2010

Poo Brain



One insight into parenthood I have gained since Setri came home is why parents often disgust unsuspecting childless people by discussing their baby's poo. It's because the poor bastards' lives revolve around their new offspring's bowel habits. It's not just the nappy changes, oh no.

Take Setri, for example. He eats all the time and poos all the time. Simple, you'd think, if somewhat messy. But each and every poo, not to mention fart, seems to be accompanied by anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of HOURS of writhing, straining, flailing of little fists, panting and grunting and, as often as not, crying that takes a lot of hard work to soothe. So an extraordinarily large proportion of our days (and nights) is occupied in some way or another by poo.

 You'd think pooing would kind of be one of those things that came naturally, like breathing or eating. If bloody only...

Then again, if my poos and farts sounded as explosive as some of Setri's I think I would cry too. Ouch.

No comments: