Friday, October 14, 2005

Michelle Leslie: Devout Drug User, Occasional Muslim

From Nude


To Prude

This girl's story gets sillier and sillier, but it's pretty clear she has herself a good lawyer, and now a Sydney doctor who is either a good friend of the family or not averse to charging a little higher than the scheduled fee.

Caught with 2 ecstasy tablets 'belonging to a friend' in her bag, she was facing 15 years in jail for possession. That's the law in Indonesia; it might be harsh and stupid, but it's the law. Next thing you know, young Michelle, fresh from the nightclub, has swathed herself in a burqua and claimed that she converted to Islam over 12 months ago. That was iced water she was drinking at the club, dammit, iced water! And that bodypaint she modelled a while back was all Halal!

Now, seeing that the 'they belonged to my friend' approach is not going to cut it, her lawyer has gone through the drug laws and come up with a brilliant defense: Michelle is an addict! Not addicted to nasty illegal drugs though, nothing that might place her under suspicion at home or harm her career too much. No, the poor dear is hopelessly addicted to prescription drugs.

Why is that a good defense? Because Indonesian law allows for a maximum sentence of 3 months for an addict... never mind that the drugs she claims to be addicted to are completely different from the ones she was caught with. They were her friend's, remember? She didn't even know what they were! Never mind that she must be the most naive 24 year old in Australia if she's at a nightclub and someone asks her to mind some pills and she doesn't know what they are. I've never taken any kind of illegal pill in my life, never even seen one, but I'm smart enough to know that in circumstances like that I wouldn't be clutching a couple of panadol!


During the prosecutor's questioning, Leslie, shaking her head, denied ever taking ecstasy before. Her lawyer interjected: "Just medicine, not ecstasy."

A doctor's report stated Leslie was addicted to prescribed medicine, not ecstasy, Leslie's lawyers said. The report states she underwent several months' treatment for addiction.


Sure she did...

4 comments:

Mikey_Capital said...

I wonder if here 'prescription medicine' was in fact her contraceptive pill. She was dating a hunky millionare boyfriend after all. She was addicted in order to stave off an unwanted preggers in to old model tum.

I feel fer her. But I feel for Renee Lawrence more. Because not only is she facing a death penalty, she looks mannish. And the press aren't going to obsess over her like Leslie and Shappelle.

I feel sorry for Shappelle most of all. I honestly think she was not guilty. But fell into that crack of not being able to prove it.

Oh - and I have to admit - when Leslie first hit the press I googled to see if I could find some of her pics on the web. Because I am a man and a very, very sad man at that.

Sarah said...

Ah it can't be just because you're a man... I googled her too! I like your contraceptive pill theory... probably the doc could then say they were 'stretching the truth' rather than committing perjury.

Schappelle I think is guilty, although unlike the so-called 'Bali 9' I don't think she'd done it before.

I feel sorry for Renee Lawrence for not being better looking... no huge deals with channel 9 for exclusive access to her, I'm sure, BUT she did have 2.7kg of heroin strapped to her body, so tough shit. I don't see her getting executed though. I think it's appalling to have such harsh penalties for drugs, but the penalties were probably instituted at the instigation of Western countries anyway.

Mikey_Capital said...

You're right about that with the harsh laws.

Frankly the war on drugs is stupid and a complete waste of money. Indeed, if the legal code was drawn up from scratch I'd say in our enlightened times anything that did not directly harm other people would not be illegal.

That's history for you. Countries are hideously impacted by drugs being illegal. And not in the good las vegas way.

Stretching the truth... LOL...

Sarah said...

Complete waste of money indeed. It just makes a few people very rich. Funnily enough, some research (on rats) just out has shown that an active ingredient of marijuana may help to improve both memory and mood. Of course the research is canadian... bunch of pot-heads, obviously. I bet that research would never have seen the light of day in the US, seeing as they just *know* that marijuana is as bad as heroin without having to resort to all that fancy-pants elitist 'science' rubbish.