Thursday, October 13, 2005

A Nappy for Your Thoughts

Why not train all four?

What's surprising about this article from the New York Times is not the level of ignorance of child-rearing practices in other cultures. I would expect the same of Australians the British, and possibly some other Europeans. No, what I find really surprising is that when asked what they thought of the idea of toilet-training a baby instead of allowing it to wear nappies until it is 2 years old or more, ordinary Americans will bring up Freud.



Another mother in Toys "R" Us, who offered her opinion but wanted to remain anonymous, was aghast at the notion. "Have you read Freud?" she asked, worrying about the method's long-term effects. "I imagine it's going to come out in sexual ways."



Anyone who knows anything about Sigmund Freud knows that the guy practically invented the technique known as 'talking out of your arse'. Freud claimed that as a child he had sexual feelings for his mother- and he then extrapolated this to mean that every single child had sexual feelings for the parent of the opposite sex. Not exactly scientific. The guy was born in 1856- how exactly does that mother think the human race survived up to that point without worrying about the sexual outcomes of too-early toilet training? How do those primitive brown people in other countries who toilet-train their children before they are even 1 year old manage without sound, scientific knowledge such as this?

I guess that means all Kenyan, Indian and Chinese children must grow up to be obsessive-compulsive-disordered adults... right?

I can't imagine tolerating having a child in nappies when they are 3 or 4 years old, as that Wikipedia article (obviously written by an American) suggests. The sooner you don't have to come into contact with smelly baby poo every day the better!

The only people I can think of who benefit from late toilet training of children are the companies that manufacture disposable nappies.

Permanent link to article here.

4 comments:

Mikey_Capital said...

Wasn't Freud also a massive cocaine addict? Just like Sherlock Holmes.

Stupid browser wouldn't let me read the MY Times article. So now - me wanty !

I'll go to the toilet if I can't see it. What? Proof? Okay then -neeeeeeuuuuuurrrrghhhhhhhhaaaaa. (pant, pant) Neeeuuuurrrrgghhh rgghh gh g (poop).

Hah !

Baby poo gives me the creeps. And new parents keep trying to get you to have a go changing them. No thanks - keep that poo machine away from me buddy.

My wife told me a tale about a coworker with an eight year old with a bowel disorder. He once at the age of 8 apparently crapped himself on the couch. With such force that it shot up his shirt and matter sprayed out thrugh the neck hole. Noice.

Sarah said...

Ergh... poor kid! Poor parents too. I just hope for everyone's sake it was their couch at home and they weren't visiting someone...

I'll copy & paste the nytimes article... forgot you need to have a sign-in... and they'd have made you pay after a week anyway, bastards.

Mikey_Capital said...

That is such a kewl article. When sprogs start happening our end, I am totally going to remember this one.

Toddlers going armed and dangerous are gross. Because the bigger the tot, the bigger the huge poo that's lurking within.

Shudder...

(I think it happened at her house. The couch survived).

Cthu1hu said...

Brilliant! We'll have to try and potty train our little one as soon as is humanly possible.

As the partner of a lovely person with a Psychology/Sociology double major degree I can say with a good degree of confidence that Freud was, indeed, completely F***ed in the head and knew virtually nothing about what he was talking about.