Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Matthew Newton gets off on domestic violence



Domestic violence: bad if you're aboriginal, fine if you're a 'troubled' celebrity.

Matthew Newton is a poncy little scumbag. Plenty of men go through emotional troubles or breakdowns without using their girlfriends as a punching bag.


A Sydney judge has quashed an assault conviction against entertainer Matthew Newton.

The 30-year-old was placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond in June for the assault of his former lover actress Brooke Satchwell.

Newton today appealed against the conviction, claiming the assault was a one-off and partly due to ongoing mental health issues.

[...]

Acting Judge Joseph Moore has agreed with references tendered to the court that described Newton as a "kind, giving gentleman".

He told the court a conviction would continue to have a life-long effect not only for Newton's reputation in Australia but also his chances overseas.

He said Newton had suffered severe shame personally and felt remorse for the attention he has brought on this family and friends.



What sort of message does this sort of godawful court decision send? Bashing your partner is ok as long as you don't make a habit of it? Fuck that. As for getting the violins out over how much his committing domestic violence has 'cost' him, what about the cost to his former girlfriend, Brooke Satchwell?

How about a new 'Australia Says No' campaign featuring Matthew Newton? It can be called 'Australia Says No*' and have a little disclaimer at the bottom regarding special exceptions made for rich and famous men who beat their female partners.

Disgusting.

6 comments:

Mikey_Capital said...

Hang on. I don't get it. Did the judge say 'the penalty is too great'?

He punched a prone person. It does not seem right. I think I need to go have a look at that judgment.

Larry Bonewend said...

If you get a bad rap for it, then she deserved it. (I think that's how it seems to be working in this case.)

Confused said...

Don't we hope that a conviction will have a life long effect- ie not to do it again. What about the life long effect of being bashed. He states he is remorseful for the attention he has caused not for the damage he has done. What was the point of all those ads last year on domestic violence, was it only valid in 2006?

audrey said...

Oh my god, the whole thing is despicable. I posted about it here.

Call me crazy, but one might think that the pragmatic person worried about damaging his prospects of working overseas WOULDN'T PUNCH HIS GIRLFRIEND IN THE FACE.

It's utterly shameful. I'm more disgusted by the absence of letters in the newspapers as well. I wonder if they're deliberately choosing not to print them because I can't imagine that NOBODY has written in about it.

Smarmy git. And the judge's comments! Outrageous!

Gam said...

check sarah's post on this today audrey, your post is linked there :) good post by the way, well said.

Auricfield said...

Here's a little poster going round on email about Matthew Newton:
http://i17.tinypic.com/4v8r4ax.jpg
Forward this to everyone you can...