Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Small Day Out


Gam caught the city cat with me into the city today because I had an orthodontist appointment. Afterward, I bought some 'buttered popcorn' and 'juicy pear' flavoured Jelly Belly beans (they're great for your teeth and I developed a taste for them during my short stint in boarding school) and went to get my licence renewed... it expired 6 months ago, but given I haven't driven since late 2002 (I think) it wasn't exactly urgent. If I'd still been living in NSW I would have had to undergo yet another test to get the licence- which would have been fair if I was stupid enough to jump behind the wheel of a car without first getting some practice drives in with an experienced driver. But I'm not.

Then we walked to Muzza's Gourmet Pies- their slogan is 'Buy one or we'll both starve'. It works on me every time! Gam had 2 pepper steak pies, and I had a spinach & feta pastie. No nasties in those pies, they're really good! 'Muzza' is a Kiwi, apparently, and although he (I presume) doesn't appear to have a website, I gathered from a cursory google search that there are also Muzza's in Coorparoo (Brisbane) and in Auckland, and probably a couple of other places in New Zealand.

Did a spot of shopping on the way home (more items to scan!), finally managed to buy a copy of the Latham Diaries then caught the city cat back. God it's a great way to travel! Student price for an all-day off-peak 2-zone ticket was $1.90. For a one-zone, one-way student fair it's 90c- the same price as catching the bus, but it takes half the time and you're on the river. They're always on time too, unlike the buses. Funnily enough, it seems that few people use the city cat as a form of public transport- rather they do it as a leisure thing, so on Sundays the cats are packed, and they run more services. It's a pity you can't travel direct to more suburbs by city cat...

Got home and tested the pool temperature with my foot. It was bearable, but not warm- if it really is going to be 36 degrees tomorrow I will certainly be making use of it!

Brisbane is a pretty nice place to live, especially in spring/summer.

2 comments:

Mikey_Capital said...

(desperately envious of your surrounds).

I'm waiting to get the Latham Diaries second hand ... thus ensuring he makes no money from me.

I'm still seething about Latham. His unloading on the ALP says far more about him than the party he came from.

It's funny how the Libs have been cursed with an ex figure making trouble. Only it's Malcolm Fraser...

Sarah said...

Haha I don't mind Mark Latham getting a cut of my money- I'm hoping it will send a message to the Labor party to get its act together. I think a lot of people in the ALP, but not necessarily just the elected ones, have forgotten why it exists. There's not a lot of belief in certain Labor ideals any more.

I think Malcom Fraser will be making trouble for the Libs a lot longer than Latham will be for Labor, if that's any comfort :)