I read as far as the second sentence of this piece in the New York Times before my jaw dropped.
I have always wondered how some people can stretch their conscience around blithely lighting up a cigarette around their children (or someone else's), but this guy goes so far as to openly proclaim his vice- almost to celebrate it- while dismissing the protests of the kids exposed to second-hand smoke as being a symptom of their upbringing in a "transfat-banning, nanny-state culture".
This wanker has the hide to complain that his 12-year-old nephew's expressed discomfort about being smoked on amounts to 'bullying'.
I explained firmly that his father and I are social smokers, who like the occasional cigarette, and that secondhand smoke isn’t an issue outdoors on the water.
[...]
Call me a crabby old baby boomer, but I’m tired of parents who let children commandeer every conversation. And should they be allowed to bully us with their concerns?
This guy makes the claim that "secondhand smoke isn't an issue outdoors", which is an absolute falsehood. Sure, it's not as bad as dragging the kid into a smoky bar, but if the kid can smell the smoke, he's breathing it in. Unbelievably, the kid's father backed him up.
How many parents would support someone grabbing their kid by the hair and pouring scotch down their throat? How about if the scotch was mixed with water? Is that any better?
How many people would agree that if someone were to show up with a can of bug spray at a bus stop and spend a couple of minutes spraying it into the air that the other people at the bus stop really shouldn't have a problem with the action? After all, they're outdoors!
Lighting up around other people is practically an assault. Many other forms of drug-taking don't directly impact on the health of people around the user. Smoking does, indoors and outdoors. Lighting up around kids should be considered child abuse.
Bob Morris- massive wanker.
Permanent link to article.

2 comments:
What about those parents you see smoking with kids in their cars? There's no escape for the smoke or the kids. I feel like running those inconsiderate arseholes off the road, just so they'll stop.
Poor kids.
Happened to my wife growing up. I'm amazed both my parents weren't smokers considering the generation they came from.
But we know better now. And that should be enough. Because if you're hooked, and I understand it's hell hard to get off it, but please there's no excuse ever to inflict it on anyone else.
Post a Comment