Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Please Explain












Don't worry, ours will be Christian!



Would any posters that identify as Howard voting conservatives do me the courtesy of explaining how exactly using taxpayer money to fund religious counsellors at public schools is in keeping with conservative traditions? Specifically, how does it ensure the separation of church and state and the right of each individual to worship as he or she sees fit.

Given that no provision is made to spend the $22,000 on non religious counsellors and that the government gets to veto the school's choice, how does this not turn govenment schools who opt in into government run madrasas? Do you believe that the government has the right to appoint religious overseers?

Would any Labor party voters also explain how exactly supporting this policy is in keeping with the Labor party's traditions? Are they just jealous that they never thought of appointing commissars to schools?

6 comments:

Arthur_Vandelay said...

As I asked at Bruce's: will atheists and agnostics be permitted to be employed as chaplains in schools? And if not, doesn't this violate the "no religious test" clause of the Constitution.

Gam said...

"As I asked at Bruce's: will atheists and agnostics be permitted to be employed as chaplains in schools?"

no.

"And if not, doesn't this violate the "no religious test" clause of the Constitution.

the international terrorist threat clearly invalidates that clause.

Mikey_Capital said...

I looked under the bed this morning only to find a nest of immature terrorists. After squashing them with my shoe I called my local school chaplain who said my action was within the interests of my faith and I did a good thing.

Mikey_Capital said...

BTW I checked that graphic.

All I can say is

b-u-u-u-r-r-r-r-n-n-n-n-n-n

Gam said...

not going to defend kim on this one?

Saturday Night Fiver said...

As a party member, I must say I'm too dispirited to pay too much attention to Federal Labor. I expect the reason we do silly things like this is that we've got spin doctors and the like who can only look to the U.S. for inspiration. The lesson they've drawn from the U.S. experience is: keep the God botherers happy.

*shakes head*