Sunday, October 29, 2006

Rotten Onions

The 'surprise'.


Inside the onion...

Does anyone else ever cut open what looks like a perfectly good onion only to find it looks like this in the middle? I would say this happens for about 1 in 10 of the onions I buy; most of them have been from Coles, but this one was from Fruity Capers in Toowong. With onions being flogged at $3.68 per kg (loose) at Coles and $2.99 per kg (loose) at Fruity Capers, I get really annoyed at having to throw so many away. Of course I could probably return them and get my $0.60 per onion back, but they'd probably think I was a freak. Instead I'll just whinge about it here... Seriously, I've always inspected the onions I buy, but for the last few months I've been obsessively scrutinising them before I buy, and there is no indication whatsoever that the onion is a dodgy one- until you cut the top off. As Murphy's Law would have it, it's nearly always the very last onion, so we have to go for a walk to buy more just when we're about to make dinner. Grrrr.


What's for dinner?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the comment- I've never seen onions with stickers identifying the producer, and seeing as the onions look perfect from the outside is there any way for the producer to tell? And do you have any idea what might cause that kind of rot?

I don't know a whole lot about onions other than that they're very tasty when they aren't rotten :)

earthkissed said...

I haven't beeen having problems with my onions, but it sounds very frustrating. Especially because I tend to buy the exact number I need...

Sarah said...

Maybe it's a Queensland thing?

Weird...