Yesterday evening, as Gam and I were walking from the carpark near Coles, some dickhead yelled from a passing car "kill all the asians". He appeared to be directing it at a bunch of people, probably a group of asian students accompanied by a couple of parents, who were entering the car park as we left. I expressed surprise that this would happen in St Lucia, but Gam pointed out that he'd had things yelled at him from cars around here before. Which, sadly, is true.
Gam later spotted what he thought was the same car parked outside one of the student houses on our route home. It had a bull-bar on the front, suggesting the dickhead wasn't a local but had friends that are.
The guy was an Australian.
What makes him and his ilk any more worthy of Australian citizenship than a decent person with a poor grasp of english and no knowledge of cricket? The fact that he made a trip down some bogan's birth canal, or the fact that no other country would want him?
I bet I know who he'll vote for at the next Federal election. I'm not suggesting that racism is the sole domain of a single party, just that the Liberal leadership are better deriving votes from whipping up racist attitudes in the community. It should be that people like that guy should feel that Australia so frowns upon attitudes like his that he would never dare express them in public. Instead he feels perfectly comfortable driving through a happily multicultural neighbourhood grunting out expressions of racial hatred and violence.
Then at 8:30pm on the ABC was 'Life at 1'. Among the parents of the babies featured on the show was a young Australian muslim couple. The young woman wore a head-scarf, and she expressed concern for the environment her daughter would grow up in, saying she felt things were 'only going to get worse' in Australia, and that there were places she will not travel any more because of the abuse she cops for being a muslim. She goes some places and gets sworn at in the street.
Why is it a priority of the major parties to round on immigrants (read: especially muslim immigrants) for their alleged lack of knowledge of some intangible 'Australian values', when Australian women who happen to be muslim are afraid to venture out in some public areas because of the abuse they suffer at the hands of fellow Australians? Is that because such behaviour fits within our politicians' definition of 'Australian values'? Unfortunately it seems the above is something of a rhetorical question. The answer appears to be that the interests of politicians in the major parties lie in sucking the votes out of the racist section of the Australian community, not in stamping out this abbhorrent facet of our social identity.
There is something seriously wrong here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Jesus... only in Queensland :)
Nah, I'm sure it happens here too -- just that Adelaide generally too small for people to afford to not either assimilate or allow people to assimilate depending where you rank on the straayan scale.
Also if Gam gets racit flak for -- what -- being more brown than you, then do you also get racist flak for being his partner? (you probably blogged about this sometime in history before I discovered your blog)
Not that I can recall, thankfully. Outside of getting rejected for a rental that we applied for as a couple (longish story I think I recounted on HM's blog once), I don't remember any kind of racism directed at me personally. I do recall getting the odd disapproving stare, but as those are easily misconstrued I wouldn't necessarily paint such people as racist. Some people might direct disapproving stares at all unmarried couples for all I know!
I really enjoyed living in St Lucia throughout 2005... After a few months elsewhere, I moved back to St Lucia in August. And, I have to say, I pretty much despise the area now. Something happened. There are some really really awful people around here. And I'm sure there always has been, but I swear the number has sky-rocketed.
Racism is chic, it's the new black.
It's a black chic.
Is that funny? I think that should be funny.
But yeah, it's off the taboo list unfortunately.
Racism is UnAustralian. It's unfortunately rampant in Australia, but it's still UnAustralian. What are white australians? We are englands rejects (if we go back far enough). We are the descendants of criminals. Australians from other cultural backgrounds have been selected usually to avoid the criminal element... I couldn't live without all the wonderful food Australians who are from different cultural backgrounds have introduced to Australia. We're supposed to pride ourselves on being a laid-back, multicultural country - racism is a crazy horrible ignorant creature.
Anthony, it could be just your neighbours... our street had a high dickhead quotient last semester, but it's great now. The best thing about neighbours who rent is that the bad ones aren't permanent :)
Agreed 100%. A fine worthy rant.
I get "fuck off you fat cunt" a fair amount.
I'm not sure where I should be fucking off too. A cake shop?
I guess one day I'll stop being surprised by hearing stuff like that, but wtf is up with people?
Yeah HM, Canberra - for all its liberality - is like the freaking Shangri-La for Bogans (long journey through mountains, then, huzzah! the promised land).
Lynn and I got a couple of stares in QLD, I don't know if she noticed them, but I did. It cracks me up to be honest, as does my grandma's eggshell tiptoeing around it!
Racism is everywhere, and it saddens me that oppourtunistic people take advantage of it.
Post a Comment