Saturday, October 28, 2006

Tagged


Thanks Mikey for the tag :)

1-Do you like the look and the contents of your blog?

I like the contents, but I wish I knew enough nerd-stuff to be able to change the look of my blog. I'm happy enough with it, but it's very 'template'.


2-Does your family know about your blog?

Not a soul. Actually that's not true, Gam's sister Delali visited it once, and she's family. Other than that, no.



3-Can you tell your friends about your blog? Do you consider it a private thing?

I would be comfortable with my friends knowing about it, but I doubt it would interest most of them. I make a point of being friends with nice people who I don't feel the need to bitch about, and so I wouldn't have to worry about them seeing something nasty I've written about them. Being nasty is for people you're not friends with, like John Howard.


4-Do you just read the blogs of those who comment on your blog? or you try to discover new blogs?

I read the blogs of everyone who comments regularly, and what's more I enjoy them. I'll take a look at the blog of anyone who comments.

Sometimes when I'm stuck for something to read I'll trawl through blogs using the 'next blog' button, but most of them are spam. Good blogs are few and far between, and I usually have more success clicking on blogs in the blogroll of people whose blog I think is a good one.


5-Did your blog positively affect (sic) your mind? Give an example.

Positively affect my mind? I'm not entirely sure what that means.


6-What does the number of visitors to your blog mean? Do you use a traffic counter?

I have no idea how many people visit my blog and I don't use a traffic counter. Unless they have something interesting to say, frankly I don't care. I like to think I have quality visitors, if not quantity :)


7-Did you imagine how other bloggers look like?

That's a poorly worded question, but yes! I guess it's my inherent nosiness...


8-Do you think blogging has any real benefit?

For me, yes. I'm not exactly achieving anything for the greater good by ranting here, but it's fun for me and I'd like to think it'll be good for something one day.


9-Do you think that the blogosphere is a stand alone community separated from the real world?

Um. Only if one never leaves the house. Otherwise, no.


10-Do some political blogs scare you? Do you avoid them?

Bother me, yes. Scare me, no. I do avoid blogs whose political opinions I don't like. When I want to interact with people whose political opinions I don't like I can just phone my Dad or some other relative. At least I like them. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with random nutbags who hold no interest for me.


11-Do you think that criticizing your blog is useful?


Put it this way, I don't see peoples' criticisms of my political or other opinions as criticisms of my blog. I am also highly unlikely to change the way I think in the absence of new information. I like to be well-informed, and I am always open to new perspectives. However I find that the sort of people who disagree on a fundamental level with my opinions all tend to spout the exact same line of crap without anything to back it up. Occasionally one of the regular commenters here will disagree with something I've said, and I would say they're much better at supporting their opinions with facts or at least a valid argument, so I tend to take that on board more.


12-Have you ever thought about what would happen to your blog in case you died?

Yeah, kind of. But it wouldn't matter because I'd be dead.


13-Which blogger had the greatest impression on you?

Not applicable. I started blogging partly because I wanted a place to exercise my frustrations with certain aspects of Australian politics and society, and also with a vague idea that if we ever had kids it might be interesting to them. Kind of like a diary.


14-Which blogger do you think is the most similar to you?

I think I've found that of all the people whose blogs I enjoy, we all share different interests outside our relatively similar political opinions. And I like it that way. I'd be bored out of my mind reading blogs by people too similar to me.


15-Name a song you want to listen to?

Bessie Smith: Me and my gin.


I'm tagging Anthony.

3 comments:

Mikey_Capital said...

Bother me, yes. Scare me, no. I do avoid blogs whose political opinions I don't like. When I want to interact with people whose political opinions I don't like I can just phone my Dad or some other relative. At least I like them. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with random nutbags who hold no interest for me.

Pure. West. Awesome.

Anthony Stoddart said...

Oh, thank you Sarah. That was an interesting read. I've acted very slowly, I'm sorry. I've only just read this. Still no internet at my place!

Sarah said...

No worries, sorry to hear about your lack of internet though- I don't think I'd survive uni without home net access (because I'm lazy and hate going to the library, that is).

Look forward to reading yours :)