Saturday, February 09, 2008

Abortion illegal in Queensland

I had no idea Queensland was this backward. In the SMH report on an anti-abortion protest gatecrashed by pro-choice people, I read the following:


The rally was organised to protest against a private members bill proposed, but not yet lodged, by Labor MP Bonny Barry calling for abortion to be decriminalised in the state.

In Queensland, it is currently an offence to conduct an abortion except when a doctor deems the mother's life to be at risk.


What. The. Fuck? I used to hear news items about Victoria's abortion laws and tut-tut about how backward they were. I had no idea that Queensland was still this much of a redneck backwater. Someone civilise this place, please!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Based on the experiences of someone I know (no, that isn't a round about way of saying "me"), regardless of the legality, doctors have no qualms about sending people off to get abortions here, regardless of the reasoning behind it. At least, her doc didn't, and based on what I was told about some of the other women getting them at the time, he wasn't the only one.

But still - utterly ridiculous.

Sarah said...

Yeah I figured they still happen and the docs work around the stupid laws, but the fact that the law states that it's illegal is bloody ridiculous.