Sunday, February 24, 2008

Queensland judges lenient on rapist

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with Queensland judges. How this guy could be out of prison by October, after raping a 13 year old girl and being convicted of two other sexual offences against children, is totally beyond me.

'Impressive' attempts at rehabilitation aside, I think Warren David Schneider should be housed next door to any kids or grandkids the judges who sentenced him may have, if they're so convinced he's not a threat. Rehabilitation is all well and good, but rape is a much more serious crime than the sentence the rapist has been given suggests. I doubt it will do much for the peace of mind of the 13 year-old girl who was raped.

2 comments:

philbert83au said...

I came to comment on this and got carried away commenting elsewhere...

Anyway this is probably not a good case to argue over, but having just watched 'The Force' tonight on Seven for something different you think geez they got off lightly for the various crimes. But when you only see half the story and it all looks pretty damning (tabloid style and all) you wonder about what happened in the trial.

But then to go along and watch A-List (petty crime list) and you start to understand the position the magistrate is in in considering the circumstances, the value and weight of the evidence and how they come to their decisions. There's also a degree of looking to the future and for the person's personal interests in reforming them, against the backdrop that prison does little other than training the down-and-out in being better criminals.

Court really doesn't make good TV cause you can't cut a case down into 40 minutes when its all fairly dry and technical with so much to be considered.

For a horrid decision though, read R v Anu Singh - its ACT Supreme Court. Mad woman kills the husband with Rohypnol and heroine...manslaughter cause she was mad. On the face of the book about it by Helen Garner (Joe Cinque's Consolation) it seems pretty outrageous but then you read the case and while that judge was light on her, he wasn't clutching at straws either.

Sarah said...

I think I read something about the case that the book was based on when the book came out a couple of years ago, but I never got around to reading the book.

Still, in the case of a child rape I don't think there's all that much to consider... But even if you don't wind up with your own 'Judge Phil' TV show someday I'm sure you'll always know more about this kind of thing than I will!