Monday, February 11, 2008

Fuck UQ

I'm at work and I don't intend to make a habit of posting from 'work', i.e. where I'm working on my honours this year, but I just wanted to register my utter pissed-off-ness with UQ and their fucking slow enrolment. I only just got my confirmation of enrolment on Wednesday, more than a month after personally taking in not one but two applications (the first one went 'missing) and went in to replace my student card that expired in November. My courses hadn't appeared in my enrolment yet so I still technically wasn't enrolled and couldn't get a new student card. Ditto on Friday.

This morning on the CityCat was the second time I came across Brisbane's most anal conductor, who insisted on closely inspecting my student card- the same guy did the same thing a couple of days after my student card expired, letting me know in a very public fashion that he was 'terribly sorry' but I'd have to buy a full fare. Fair enough from his end, but other conductors are more reasonable- after all if I had a fucking job and a fucking income I wouldn't be buying a fucking student fare, would I? I'd already planned on going in to UQ again this afternoon to have it renewed, as there's no excuse for it all not to have gone through by now... I felt bad on Thursday for chewing out the guy at the ID desk when it's totally not his fault, but I hate being forced to fork out money where I shouldn't have to, and I hate being treated like a scammer. Slow-arse UQ enrolment people.

Grrr-fucking-rrr.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Do you guys not have online enrollment? QUT does. Unless it is different for Honors?

Sarah said...

We have online enrolment for courses, and online enrolment in undergrad degrees, but to apply for any postgrad course you have to fill out a good old-fashioned paper application form. Which is what they lost. And when I filled out a new one, it sat on someone's desk for weeks on end (I know because my supervisor hunted it down for me and actually saw it sitting, signed, on the person's desk!!). Only after that was I able to use the online system to enrol in the two courses I needed, and they can take over 24 hours to 'appear in the system', meaning that the ID people couldn't get me a new card.

I finally was successful in getting one this afternoon, thank god. Stupid UQ.

Mikey_Capital said...

Having experienced university bureaucracy as a student and an employee, and having worked for the public service, I can declare that university bureaucrats are by far the worst. Its like surly shop girls graduated to being surly counter girls.

Anonymous said...

Don't let the bastards grind you down!! If we stick together we can overcome this crap. DON'T LET THEM GET TO YOU! They want you to get cranky and give up. The best revenge is to pursue what you want done so they can't sit around and eat choklit all day. MAKE THEM EARN THEIR KEEP. That is all....