Sunday, February 24, 2008

Newman cries foul- fails to recognise stench of hypocrisy

Can't be bothered making lifestyle changes to reduce your enormous carbon footprint?
A few dollars' worth of GreenWash will make it all go away!

Campbell Newman is whinging loudly about what he has labelled a smear campaign, after Brisbane voters were called by a WA-based polling company and asked questions that included whether they thought Newman was a hypocrite for trumpeting his climate-change 'policies' while continuing to drive a V8 car.

Newman is crying foul because while he indeed is chauffeured around in a V8 car (and also owns a Jeep Cherokee that he swears blind is only used for trips to the nursery on a Sunday to buy plants, and for 'camping trips'... would that we all had money enough to buy a car for every occasion!), he pays a few dollars every year for some unidentified person somewhere to plant a few trees and supposedly negate the effects of his environmental vandalism.

The article on the Brisbane Times website is incredibly sympathetic to Newman, who has shamelessly used his 'Look at me- I'm the Lord Mayor!' column in the crappy free local B Magazine this month to spruik for votes for his 'Can Do' team and express his love for everything public transport. Oh it's so fucking galling to see the wasteful son-of-a-bitch trying to get elected using public transport as a platform when he's done nothing but screw public transport users over.

Wanker.

Oh, and I do realise I've posted this video before, but I just enjoy it so much!

5 comments:

Gam said...

he's the perfect mayor for brisbane. the place is bursting at the seams with greedy fuckers clamouring for their piece of the pie and screw anyone and everything else. why shouldn't they have a mayor who reflects them?

Mikey_Capital said...

Hilarious stuff. "I plant trees and only use the fourth of the four cars I have access to to drive to the nursery to get them."

What a fucking clown.

Sarah said...

Ha. Sums it up very nicely, Mikey.

dia(ry)tribe said...

What a Knob! This is kind of indulgent greenwashing that is undermining legitimate climate actiong. 'Greenfleet' forward sell their credits, so the actual absorbition of emissions takes place over the next hundred years, where as his V8's are pumping out carbon right now.
This site is a great example of the utility of offsetting: www.cheatneutral.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there VOTAY,

I'm Jason, who you may remember contacting you about youdecide2007 - you kindly agreed to cross -post some stuff there during the election campaign (we also wrote something about your overington incident in our ABC Club Bloggery column).

Anyhows, now we're doing a hyperlocal citizen journalism site for the local elections. It's at qlddecides.com. Same deal again - it's us at QUT and On Line Opinion working closely on it, and this time we also have the folks at the Local Government Association of Queensland taking part.

I notice you've already written a couple of things about Campbell Newman, and look to be taking an interest in the Brisbane elections. I'm writing to ask whether or not you would mind either (a) writing some stuff for the site that you could send me directly (we're expecting a big audience again), or (b) whether I could cros-post stuff to the site when it's relevant, with all appropriate links and credits?

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch, and keep up the good work on the blog - I went to Blue Smoke on your recommendation and was very pleased with the ribs.

Cheers
Jason