Saturday, February 23, 2008

Google analytics: holy shit, it's Lara's tits!




On February 19 I made a post about news.com.au's breathless reporting of the fact that Lara Bingle's nude photos had reappeared on the German GQ website. No new nude photos, just the same ones that guys around Australia have been constantly Googling since they first appeared in German GQ.

Remember that I mentioned on February 19 that the Lara Bingle post on this blog still constituted 15% of our blog hits? Well, now it's closer to 40%. Today I logged into Google Analytics and was confronted with a graph that looked like this:



In January we were averaging 250 or so visitors per day (more than 40 of which would have been 'visiting Lara'), and recently our traffic was hitting 400-450 per day, which we were pretty chuffed about. On February 20, the day after my post, it hit 2606. We also have a map of Australia in the Google analytics, showing where all the hits come from, that looks like it's developed chicken pox. A great example is that we've got 63 hits from Palmerston in the Northern Territory, where we usually average about one a month. I believe there's a military base there. The keyword searches reveal what everyone is looking for:



It sure explains why media outlets are always willing to stoop to publishing tabloid shit- get a mention of celebrity nude pictures in there somewhere and your hits go through the roof. The advertisers must love it.

Sure dispels any notion that people visit this blog because they're interested in what we have to say. Hrmph. I was pleased when we checked out Google Analytics the other day and discovered that referring sites constituted 53% of our traffic sources- the first time it's hit 50%. Not any more- it's now back down to 44%. Boo.

UPDATE: Holy crap, I just had a look at our keyword searches. There are only two things in the top 20 other than variations on 'lara bingle nude': 'Playboy jokes' and 'Caroline Overington', who came in at number 16. I think Caroline deserves a round of applause for that one- unless it was just her running Google searches on herself again.

UPDATE 2: It gets better- only 5 out of the top 40 keyword searches weren't for Lara Bingle... and one of them was for the name of this blog. Geez.

3 comments:

olde boots said...

heh heh ... you come up third when you search for caroline overington nude.

i didn't actually keep looking to see if you have any photos.

Sarah said...

oldeboots... I hope that was purely academic curiousity!

And I think if we had any photos we'd have had more than just a phonecall from Caroline!

Mikey_Capital said...

Yeah the analytics is a tad depressing when you realise 80% of hits are from google image/word search for stuff you commented on not stuff produced.

What number is Barley legal cracking at?