Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Coming out
This piece in the New York Times, on a gay teenager's experience of 'coming out' to his family and community, is rather sad. There is no doubt that Zach O'Connor's experience of coming out was a positive step in his life, and a cathartic one. But I hope that when Gam and I have kids, if one of them is gay there'll be no need for 'coming out' any more than there would be a need to tell us if they're heterosexual. I hope there will be no need to worry about government-sanctioned discrimination, bullying and hatred.
I hope they would never have to worry that we might love them less for being gay. What a fucked up society we live in when any kid has to worry about something like that.
Permanent link to article here.
Labels:
gay rights
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good story. Thanks for linking it. What a great response from his mother.
Post a Comment