Sunday, April 08, 2007

'Diary' entry: Easter/chocolate


It's weird- growing up, Easter was about having to attend church on both Friday and Sunday, and eating as much chocolate as we were allowed. Now, I don't attend church and I don't buy easter eggs because it's the same chocolate as I buy throughout the year, only twice the price. Not that I've lost sight of the novelty value of easter eggs- I'm sure when we have kids I'll buy them- but as a budget-conscious student and chocolate-lover, I prefer to get as much quality chocolate as I can for my dollar. I did bake chocolate-chip biscuits today, but that's it as far as chocolate goes (leaving aside the fact that Lindt blocks were on special all week and we have really more than sated our appetite for chocolate).

We were thankful the Chinese convenience store down the road was open on Good Friday, as I'd just put a sticky date pudding in the oven when I realised I'd forgotten to buy cream for the caramel sauce- I forget whether NSW allows trading on Good Friday, but most Queensland businesses aren't allowed to trade. Must be a shock for the foreign students for whom Good Friday has never been a holiday, when they trot off to the supermarket to do some grocery shopping.

Our friends invited us to go see 300 with them this evening- it's not something we were hanging out to see, but we were keen to catch up with them until we found out the movie wasn't until 9.45pm... by the time it finishes, the City Cats will have stopped running. So we gave it a pass. I suppose we're capable of walking back to St Lucia from Southbank at midnight, but I'd rather be in bed by then.

Despite the fact that I'm no longer a church-going christian and easter holds no meaning other than being a nice opportunity to spend time with Gam and catch up on uni work, today I have this incredible aversion to reading over my lecture notes. Partly because I'm finding both microbiology and 'food safety and quality management' to be shit-boring subjects (despite having an interesting lecturer for FSQM and having a natural interest in some aspects of microbiology), but also because I have this innate sense that I'm somehow entitled to a holiday. And I'm not! I need to work!

No comments: