Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Queen Street Mall sucks

Queen Street Mall: the dream vs. the reality

Gam and I walked to the city today for my orthodontist appointment. Afterward, we went to Rebel Sport, seeking some size 14 football boots. As we wanted to shop around (despite the fact that it's almost impossible to get hold of a size 14 pair at the best of times) we walked to the Footlocker and the Zelus store.

This probably isn't the first time I've bitched about Queen St Mall being the favourite meeting place of every bloody smoker in Brisbane (maybe it is for this blog, but believe me when I say I complain every time I have to go there!), but today we had to run the gauntlet of a line-up of so many seated smokers that the air was hazy and grey, clearing only once we got past the line of seats. It was gross.

Even worse, I could still smell the smoke 'following' me as we took the escalator back to the Rebel Sport store. I thought I was being paranoid when I sniffed my hair, but my suspicion was confirmed: it smelled as if I'd spent hours in a smoky nightclub. Just from walking through Queen St Mall. Disgusting.

Of course, that's not as bad as seeing parents with babies forced to carry their babies through all that smoke. Passing through Queen St Mall might be a health hazard for an adult, but it must be even worse for a tiny baby's lungs.

Gam pointed out that while it's illegal for the diners in the kiosk cafe/restaurants in the mall to smoke, it's perfectly legal for people to walk right past the table and smoke all over the diners. Enticing...

Queen St Mall: Welcome to Brisbane's biggest ashtray!

2 comments:

Anthony Stoddart said...

Coincidence!! Both of us inspired by our day to post about the city/mall...

Sarah said...

Oh... I hope yours was better than mine... I'd better go read!