Monday, April 09, 2007

Lindt Bunny ad: Believe this and you'll believe anything


I detest that stupid Lindt Bunny ad that ran in the lead-up to Easter, and seeing as Mikey is having a go at it, I thought I'd take the opportunity to put the boot in too.

My pet hate is the 'rustic kitchen' setting, where 'master chocolatiers' in chef-hats and aprons carefully grate the chocolate onto ordinary chopping boards, after which, no doubt, they carefully melt the chocolate in a saucepan, stirring with a wooden spoon, before painstakingly handcrafting the delightful Lindt Bunny. Of course, the final touch is each little red ribbon and bell being tied by hand around the Lindt Bunny's neck.

My arse they do.

Instead, picture a huge factory setting containing numerous giant metal vats of molten chocolate, each being constantly stirred by a large metal apparatus. Then imagine the chocolate being squirted from another machine into a Lindt Bunny mould, and millions upon millions of these Lindt Bunnies being moved along by a whirring conveyor belt, being wrapped in foil by yet another machine, after which the red ribbon and bell is sealed around the bunny's neck before being packed (perhaps by hand!) into giant cardboard boxes, before being loaded by forklift onto a giant, diesel-spewing truck with a climate-controlled container and taken to the docks in France (or wherever the stuff is made) to be shipped by the millions of tonnes all over the world.

Not quite so romantic.

I have to say, I love Lindt chocolate, but I don't love their wanky ads.
To my mind, the misrepresentation of the manufacturing process, despite its obvious poetic license, borders on false advertising.

1 comment:

Mikey_Capital said...

Damn straight! Almost as annoying as car ads that show ... no ... other ... cars ... on ... the ... road.