Thursday, April 19, 2007
Dairy-free, soy-free smoothie
One of the things I've missed on my now largely milk-free diet is milkshakes and smoothies. My diet in summer used to consist largely of ice-cream and fruit (a bit of an exaggeration, but not much!). One of my favourite meals is an enormous smoothie with some kind of fruit (banana, mango, strawberries, blueberries, whatever) plus the works- ice-cream, milk and yoghurt.
Seeing that I've pretty much entirely given up milk, and cut back greatly on ice-cream and yoghurt, I thought smoothies were out of the question. I still can't stomach soy milk by itself, despite the excellent foam obtainable with Vitasoy. It's just too gross.
Yesterday, however, faced with a rockmelon of reasonable quality that wasn't quite good enough to enjoy on its own, and a container of super-rich coconut cream that needed using, I decided to give a non-dairy smoothie a go. 1/8th of a rockmelon, plus a couple of tablespoons coconut cream with the addition of some pineapple and orange juice, it worked perfectly- even I could scarcely have determined that it contained no dairy products!
Today I tried the same thing again, this time with the addition of a ladyfinger banana to the mix, and slightly more pineapple-orange juice. Even better.
It's not quite a substitute for a proper milkshake or smoothie, but it's still extremely tasty and doesn't involve the use of gross soy milk!
Labels:
food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hooray! Take that lactose intolerance or what ever it is that diary does to you!
oops, sorry, this post is a bit old, but I must share. Your comments were ironic to me, as I have been dairy-free for most of my life and am addicted to smoothies! My favorite is 1 small banana, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 3/4 to 1 cup almond milk (I use Almond Breeze, but Pacific brand is good too), and ice to desired consistency. That is the base recipe, sometimes I add non-flavored additions like flaxseed. My husband is addicted to these as well! I also recommend using Turtle Mountain (Purely Decadent) for making milk shakes, but if the soy is way out of line, then try one of the rice based ice creams. - www.godairyfree.org
Post a Comment