Monday, April 09, 2007

Weddings: It's all about ME!!!!!!!!



While I'm on the subject of spending large amounts of money on unnecessary crap- I bought a bridal magazine in the hope of finding out more about Brisbane wedding... stuff. I'm familiar with the 'Bridezilla' concept, having known people who had their wedding day planned out since the day they hit puberty. Which makes sense of the "it's all about ME" mantra that resonates throughout the magazine. I've always had a little trouble reconciling that with the fact that a wedding is about two people making a public commitment to each other, but the magazine seems to have no trouble embracing the dichotomy.



Reading the magazine, it's no wonder the average Australian wedding costs somewhere in the vicinity of $30000 if people can convince themselves they need to spend money on so much useless crap. I've photographed a few choice examples- just like the magazine suggests for a wedding, I'll try and group the pictures into 'themed' posts. Who knew a wedding had to have a 'theme'?



4 comments:

Gam said...

you are beautiful, you are worthy and you are my princess! i don't care what you think, you're wrong. there are people out there who deserve a wanktastic, princess from the clouds wedding and you're one of them. stuff anyone who thinks different.

Mikey_Capital said...

Bridezillas exist alright. Fortunately thewife was not one of them. Our wedding rawked. So many things went wrong that in the end it was funny. And I think we spent about 7k. Inc honeymoon. We rented a house boat ... which I crashed.

Larry Bonewend said...

NORMAL PERSON: We rented a house boat.

MIKEY: We rented a house boat ... which I crashed.

Saw this article on weddings that aren't All About Me, they're Also About The Planet.

Sarah said...

lol Mikey! Houseboats are cool... I don't think we're having a honeymoon after our wedding, but having a holiday on a houseboat is on the list of things I'd like to do before I die :D Without crashing it, preferably...


Larry, thanks for the article- I've read a few of them recently. One suggested recycled paper invitations... I was wondering if it would be too derro of me to email everyone invites to the wedding to avoid using any paper at all :P