Monday, April 23, 2007

Take a hike, Anna


Where are the cyclists?

The North bank development monstrosity has been given the green light by the Beattie government. Anna Bligh today proved that she has never been to the area proposed for development outside of the time she takes for a photo op, calling the area "dangerous and neglected".


Out of this consultation process, the public again made it very clear that it wants to see something done with this dangerous and neglected part of the CBD.

[...]

The process however did highlight a number of concerns about the project and 57% of respondents do not support the project proceeding in its current form.



No shit they don't. This supposedly 'dangerous and neglected' part of the CBD is where Gam and I walk and park our bikes when we come to the city. It's nicer than the rest of the shithole that is the CBD because it's only used by City Cat passengers, pedestrians and cyclists, meaning you're less likely to encounter crowds, pushy people and smokers. I've been there at probably every single hour of the day at one time or another, on foot or on my bike, and I have not only never encountered any trouble, but I've never felt unsafe there either.

Anna Bligh, you're a dickhead. Nice job trying to pretend the Beattie government's developer friends are doing the public a service by building 40 metres over the Brisbane river. The self-interest of the government members in this proposal is more than evident. Hell, I'd prefer a 'fuck you, we're doing this for Multiplex's bottom line and there's nothing you can do' to this bullshit about public safety. If safety is a concern why isn't there a police patrol or a security guard at the City Cat stop?

No comments: