Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Respect

"Who loves making political mileage out of ANZAC Day?!"

It's ANZAC day. Here's how John Howard thinks we should treat the spouse (in a genuine, if not legal sense) of a World War II veteran, simply because the love of the veteran's life happened to be a man:

Screw him over. Force him to seek the help of the UN in his quest to be treated in a manner equal to the partners of other Australian veterans.

Nice. Respect our veterans, take care of their families... unless they're gay.

*Insert mad flag-waving here*

4 comments:

Anthony Stoddart said...

Shit, that's appalling. Thank you for highlighting that. I can't believe this absurdity is still happening. In 2007.

Michelle said...

This makes me incredibly ashamed of our government. More than I already am, that is.

Mikey_Capital said...

Yeah I saw that. Fuckwits. News flash. Some of us are gay. Get used to it. And for those gays that fought for their country give their fucking life partners their fucking benefits. Anything less is an afront to the sacrifice others make.

Larry Bonewend said...

"The UN Human Rights Committee, which has found Australia in breach of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights 15 times since 1991."

"The inquiry, led by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, heard same-sex couples experienced decreased living standards as a result of almost 60 federal laws discriminating against them."

Keep the flag at half mast. I see no cause for pride.